Monday, October 4, 2010

Act

Dear Family,

It's been a fast paced week here in Tacoma. The weather has really taken a turn and when it doesn't even get into the 60's with this humidity its down right freezing, but I kind of like it. It reminds me a lot of Northern California actually. Things are going really well. We had a wonderful turn out at conference. We got 5 investigators to different sessions between Saturday and Sunday, and thats not including the ones that watched from home, but the ones that actually came to the church to watch it with us and the ward. I love watching conference at the church, I have no problem staying awake and I'm able to take really great notes. I should have been watching conference at the church for years! I'm SO proud of Lia for watching all of it! I don't think I did that til I was an adult. Way to go Bug! Our investigators really LOVED conference. We have two baptisms this next weekend. Amanda and Brandon. We're excited for them both! Amanda is actually being married by the bishop just before her baptism! It would take pages and hours to write her whole story, mabye I'll try to write it all down and send you a hard copy. She truly has been tried beyond what I thought many could endure and her faith has grown SO strong.

We had a really neat miracle happen this week. Do you remember Craig, our investigator who passed away last month? Well I told you about his neighbor (Erin) who was the one who came out and told us what had happened to him when we were knocking at his door. Sister Fox felt prompted to stop by her place again when she was on a split, which is really inspired because I don't know if I could have walked up the stairs to the complex again just to say hello to a woman who I felt was certainly not interested and right next door to Craigs appartment. But she listened to that beautiful still small voice and WOW the Holy Ghost knows what he is doing. Erin came on a church tour the next evening and has been SO prepared for the message. She took a Book of MOrmon and is reading it faithfully. She even came to an afternoon session of conference and really liked it. Her WHOLE family is Jehova's Witness and she has felt really pressured to join that faith, so we haven't been pushy, but we've been really bold in testifying and teaching her and I can already see a change in her. We've since then walked up the stairs to her and Craig's appartment complex many times, and although each time I can't help but feel a heavy sadness in my heart, I also feel a contrasting joy that the Lord really is in charge of this work. I don't know if Erin would have ever come to church if we hadn't heard the sad news of Craigs passing from her.

I've thought a lot about the messages of confrerence and I keep thinking about the huge focus on agency and choice. We are agents unto ourselves and we are to act, not to be acted upon. I think its going to be much harder to that in the coming months and years. I loved the simple advice they gave us of reading our scriptures every day, praying, going to church, doing service, having family home evening and prayer etc. Nothing in their counsel has changed! But these things are beccoming increasingly important in a rapidly changing world. We must act now or the world will act for us and we become acted upon. I love conference! I love the Prophets voice! It brings peace to my soul. I love and miss you all!

Love Sister Bradley

No comments: