Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Members are the Means

Dear Family,
I really enjoyed getting all your letters and emails this week. You all are so inspired, giving me just the things I need. I'm excited to tell you about my week. As a missionary, your hardest weeks and your best weeks often tend to be the same weeks. That was this last week. It started out with a great miracle. We set up a to take a family in the Ward on a church tour for family home evening and they brought a non-member family with them! Meg, Lizzie, and Louis all came with the Thomsen family and we were able to share our testimony of the sacrament and baptism. I love member missionaries! What a wonderful example the Thomsen family is to us and the ward and how grateful we are for their willingness and desire to share the gospel. Members are the means!
This week we found six new investigators (Including the family), which is unheard of! This last week I've learned an important lesson, as I usually do each week, but I thought I'd share this one. Elder Bednar said last year "Obedience is the principle weapon upon which the rising generation must rely in a modern day battle between good and evil." Amen Elder Bednar! In the MTC, were constantly told be obedient, be obedient, be obedient! I left thinking I had gotten the idea. Satan is so clever and he finds ways to tempt us to be disobedient, through rationalization and deceit. Being EXACTLY obedient is the key, we can't take some principles and leave others. We either live the gospel or we don't, we're either doing everything we can, or we're not. Those six new investigators were a blessing of exact obedience. We don't know how God will reward us with blessings, but we know they come. As a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ, I know they come. We need to be patient and trust in the Lord's timing.
This last Monday was pretty crazy. We had transfer meeting and my dear companion and trainer Sis. Jang left me for her home in Korea. But I'm excited to be serving with Sis. Conger from New York. We're about the same age and she just came from the MTC. She's an amazing missionary already. We both have such a sincere desire to work hard and be obedient that I know we're going to see some pretty amazing miracles. I've been overwhelmed with feelings of inadequacy and fear as I've prepared to help her come into the field. But as I met her and we've started working I've felt a greater peace and love in my heart then ever before. The Lord is truly the master conductor of life, and He won't let my inadequacies ruin the ultimate symphony. Sis. Conger and I are learning together, working hard, and doing everything we can to be exactly obedient.
Steilacoom is a wonderful place to be and the work is going forward with more drive then ever before. Currently we're meeting with a women named Nicole. She's met with missionaries for about the past year but we were able to finally break some barriers as she came to church for the first time ever this last Sunday and stayed for the whole block! I thought I knew joy before I came out on a mission, but the happiness I felt as I saw her make the effort and sacrifice to come to church I felt a greater joy than I've ever experienced. I LOVE seeing people change their lives. I've especially loved seeing Nicole change her life, I've really grown to love her and have felt such a connection with her over the past weeks. Her baptism is set for the 28th of March. Please keep her in your prayers.
I'm excited for the work to continue. I often find myself feeling like I don't know enough to be doing this, but I'm determined to push forward in the work. "Behold I am a disciple of Jesus Christ the son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people that they might have everlasting life." 3 Nephi 5:13 When hard days come I recite this scripture in my head as many times as it takes to have the courage to press forward in the work. I'm so grateful for this calling and for the people here that are willing to change their lives for the better by being baptized. Great things are happening and I don't have minute to waste. I love you all.
Love Sister Sara Hope Bradley

No comments: